04 December 2010

All About Pumpkins...

http://kimandjason.com/blog/2008-10-29/halloween-happiness.html


To me, there is nothing more iconic than a pumpkin around Halloween. Whether they're big or small, round or oval, or just plain deformed, I absolutely love everything about them! However, this has not always been the case. My family never really celebrated All Hallow's Eve so I never carved pumpkins as a kid. In sixth grade one of my classmates further ruined the pumpkin carving experience for me when, during a class project, he ate the rind...pumpkin guts and all! YUCK! After that the very smell of pumpkin guts would invoke the dry heaves and make my skin crawl. That feeling continued into adulthood until one day when I had the opportunity to visit a pumpkin patch. I don't know exactly what happened that afternoon, but being surrounded by acres of pumpkins inspired me both artistically and emotionally. Now I look forward to carving and finding new and unique ways to create jack-o-lanterns and use pumpkins in decorating. There is a page in my blog dedicated to everything great about pumpkins including carving instructions, patterns, photos, and links to free pumpkin patterns. I'm always amazed at the talented carvers that are out there and I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do.

No comments: